Though Hard To Resist, They May Not Be Worth It.
It’s the time of year when you have to pick your battles. By that I mean you have to decide which splurges you are going to indulge in and which you ones aren’t worth it. Of, you could elect to eat as many of the season’s treats as you want – after all, it does only comes once a year – in which case you’ll have a big problem to deal with at the start of 2013.
Many of the food chains offer specialty drinks at this time of year that are loaded with calories, fat, and sugar. They seem like a good idea when you’re carrying armloads of packages around a hot, overcrowded mall full of people that are every bit as impatient as you are. You need something to help you get through it!
But, is a beverage that has 520 calories and 18 teaspoons of sugar, with little (if any) nutritional value the best choice? You decide.
Seasonal Drinks You’ll Run Into This Year.
Below are some of the most popular, seasonal drinks this year along with their calorie, fat and sugar counts. I’m not here to judge what anyone eats or drinks when they hit the shop-til-you-drop wall. Just don’t say I didn’t warn you.
1. Peppermint White Chocolate Mocha from Starbucks – 16 oz – Calories 520; Fat 18 g; Sugar 75 g (15 teaspoons)
2. Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate from Starbucks – 16 oz – Calories 450; Fat 16 g; Sugar 62 g (12 teaspoons)
3. White Chocolate Flavored Latté with Skim Milk from Dunkin’ Donuts – Large – Calories 340; Fat 0.5 g; Sugar 68 g (14 teaspoons)
4. Peppermint Hot Chocolate from Panera Bread – 16 oz – Calories 500; Fat 15 g; Sugar 69 g (14 teaspoons)
5. McCafé Caramel Frappe from McDonalds – 16 oz. – Calories 550; Fat 24 g; Sugar 71 g (14 teaspoons)
6. McCafé Egg Nog Shake from McDonalds – 16 oz. – Calories 680; Fat 21; Sugar 93 g (18 teaspoons)
7. Pumpkin Smash Smothie from Jamba Juice – Calories 390; Fat 0; Sugar 83 g (16 ½ teaspoons)
8. Gingerbread Cookie Shake from Burger King – 12 oz – Calories 490; Fat 15 g; Sugar 70 g (14 teaspoons)
9. Peppermint Swirl Shake from Arby’s – 18 oz – Calories 690; Fat 19 g; Sugar 92 g (18 ½ teaspoons)
9. Gingerbread Martini from Outback’s – 8 oz – Calories 613; Fat 3.6 g; Sugar 10 g (2 teaspoons)
*Calories estimated based on copycat recipe.
10. Chocovine – 3.5 oz – Calories 256; Fat 6.7 g; Sugar 22.4 g (4 teaspoons)
A Fast Food Calorie Counter Can Help!
The best thing to do is arm yourself with information about some of the once-a-year goodies that eating establishments offer so you can make good decisions about if, when, and how often you’ll treat yourself.
If you’re really serious about not letting these ‘indulgences’ creep into your diet and onto your hips this holiday season, download the Fast Food Calorie Counter app for Smartphone or iPhone. With the Fast Food app you’ll be able to see what you’re getting before you buy and search for better options.