The Best Couch To 5K Apps
If you’re embracing the Couch to 5K program and are looking for an option other than wearing a stop watch to clock your jog/walk intervals, try one of these apps. They are designed to keep you on pace and motivated:
1. RunDouble – The RunDouble Couch to 5K App takes you through the nine week program and cues you as to when you need to walk and jog while music from your playlist – or even Pandora – plays in the background. The app tracks your distance and provides pace and distance updates as you run. You can try the RunDouble app for two weeks free. After that, the upgrade is only $1.60. Available at the Google Play Store.
2. Couch-to-5K – The Couch-to-5k is brought to you by Active.com and is the official Cool Running Couch to 5K program. With this app you can select an interactive coach, listen to you own music, track your progress and even get hooked up to discounts for 5Ks in your area. You can download the app for $1.99. Available for Android, iPhone, iPad.
3. Jeff Galloway’s 5K App – This app uses Jeff’s unique Run-Walk-Run training method. (need link to this) and uses technology that matches the tempo of your music to your pace. The app includes GPS tracking and 15 tracks of high energy fitness music for free. Available at the iTunes store.
4. Fun Run – The Fun Run app includes four program: A nine week couch to 5k and a six week C25K if you’re already doing some running and don’t need to start at the beginning. Once you complete the 5K you can use the Couch to 10K 13 week program or Boost to 10K program. Play your music in the background and listen to voice prompts for pace changes. This app will also maintain a log of your progress. Available at Google Play Store.
5. Get Running – Has many of the same features as the apps #1 through #4. Pace cues, integrates music from your playlist, and a tracker that logs your workouts. The reviews for this app are excellent. What people like most is the female voice that provides pace cues and words of encouragement. Available for $1.99 at the iTunes Store.
Using an app that will track your progress, provide verbal cues, and keep you on pace is key to keeping with with the nine week Couch to 5K program. These are just a few of the apps that are on the marketplace.
Have you tried any of these apps or is there another one that you’re hooked on and has helped you reach your goal to run a 5K?