The Annual Girl Scout Cookie Sale Starts Today . . . .
I’ll get some Thin Mints but I won’t eat them. I’ll and put them in the freezer.
By this time next week every employee breakroom in the northern hemisphere will have at least one Girl Scout Cookie order form. I’ve heard rumors of a new cookie this year, but a spokesperson from our local council said that’s not really true. There are two bakers that make the GS cookies and our area is using a baker that they haven’t used in years past – or at least recently – so an old cookie will seem new. New to us anyway.
The History of Girl Scout Cookies at My House
Not only were my daughters Girl Scouts, they were the top cookie sellers in their troop because my husband and I would take the order forms to work. We were always amazed at how fast those forms filled up! People wait all year for them to go on sale. Everyone was so generous in purchasing multiple boxes from my girls, It wouldn’t be right if I didn’t return the favor and buy a couple of boxes from my worker-mom friends. To put in the freezer, of course.
I Feel Obligated To Enlighten You
If you want the scoop on how many calories are in these wonderful once-a-year delights, keep reading. If you believe ignorance is bliss, click here.
Let’s start with the all time favorite and work down.
- Thin Mints: Serving Size – 4 cookies for 160 calories and 8 grams of fat
- Samoas: Serving Size – 2 cookies for 140 calories and 7 grams of fat
- Trefoils (shortbread): Serving Size – 4 cookies for 120 calories and 4.5 grams of fat
- Do-si-dos (peanut butter sandwich): Serving Size – 3 cookies for 160 calories and 6 grams of fat
- Tagalongs (peanut butter patty): Servings Size – 2 cookies for 108 calories and 8 grams of fat
- Dulce de Leche: Serving Size – 4 cookies for 160 calories and 8 grams of fat
- Lemonades: Serving Size – 2 cookies for 150 calories and 7 grams of fat
- Shout Outs!: Serving Size – 4 cookies for 130 calories and 5 grams of fat
- Thanks-a-Lot: Serving Size – 2 cookies for 150 calories and 6 grams of fat
- Thank U Berry Munch: Serving Size – 2 cookies for 120 calories and 5 grams of fat
- Savannah Smiles (the new cookie): 5 cookies for 140 calories and 5 grams of fat
I notice that the new kid on the block – the Savannah Smiles – has a serving size of five cookies for 140 calories. They must be itty-bitty.
Frequently Asked Questions (and Answers)
Q. How many Girl Scout cookies can a gal/guy eat in one sitting?
A. If it’s the Thin Mints, probably the whole sleeve. They are incredibly addicting!
Q. What should my daily limit be?
A. That’s totally up to the individual and depends on how many extra calories you want to have to work off every day. Unfortunately the calories-in, calories-out scientific stuff applies to GS cookies too.
Q. How can we administer effective portion control methods?
A. I have no clue. Put them on a smaller plate maybe?
How Are You Going To Put Down These Cookies?!?
I apologize that I don’t have some amazingly effective strategies to help you put down the Girl Scout cookies. I know freezing them doesn’t work. The Thin Mints are just as good frozen. Refusing to buy them would be a good strategy, but they turn up everywhere you go so that would only help a little.
Do consider yourself duly warned that they are headed your way. If you have found an effective way to put ‘em down, please let the rest of know what your secret is!