Need a way to burn off some of those extra holiday calories? One of the 30 day burpee challenges may be just what you need.
The standard burpee – like we did in grade school P.E. class – gets your heart rate up and works every muscle in the body. Burpees are back in vogue now that body-weight exercise programs and HIIT and Tabata workouts are trending. If you’re like me you have a love-hate relationship with burpees. I’ve decided to suck up the hate part and have committeed to doing a couple of sets every time I work out.
There are several different burpee challenges circulating on the internet so you have a few to choose from. Pick your poison and get started on one of the challenges below.
But first, in case you’ve forgotten what an actual burpee looks like, here’s a picture:
1. Spartan Race 30-Day Burpee Challenge – This challenge is pretty simple. You do 30 burpees every day for 30 days. You can break them up into sets of five, 10, 20 and so on. Whatever works for you. This challenge has a Facebook page that you can illicit support from. Click here to join the challenge: Spartan Race Facebook Page
2. 30 Day Fitness.com – This 30 day burpee challenge starts out a little slower than the Spartan Race challenge but you really have to up your game by day nine. Each day you do five more burpees than you did the day before so by the end of the challenge you’re doing 100 (ouch!). I like this challenge because it breaks you in a little slower, but doing 100 burpees is huge for most of us I’m guessing. The 30 Day Fitness.com challenge starts here.
3. He and She Eat Clean Bikini Body Burpee Challenge – It’s never too early to start working on your bikini body. It may seem like you have plenty of time if you live here in Illinois with me, but why mess around and not be ready when the sun finally does make it’s appearance? This challenge takes it to the next level by adding pushups to the burpees. And Tiffany of He and She Eat Clean says you can add a set of three to five pound dumbbells if you are looking for even more of a challenge. Thanks, Tiffany. I think the no-weight challenge will sufficiently kick my you-know-what. Check out the bikini challenge here.
4. Forward From The Heart Burpee Challenge – This one is probably the most doable. By day 30 of the challenge you’re doing 30 burpees which doesn’t sound too bad after looking at some of the other programs. You even get some rest days throughout the month. The goal with the Forward From The Heart challenge is, by the end, to be able to do 30 in a row. Click here for The Heart Burpee Challenge.
Not excited about the burpee challenge just yet? Here’s a burpee challenge trifecta for you:
5. Shrinkingjeans.net Gold Medal Ass Challenge – As if the burpee, or the bupree plus pushup challenges weren’t bad enough, the Shrinkingjeans have created a squat + burpee + wall sit workout. By day 31 you will be doing 100 squats, two minutes of burpees, and a two minute wall sit. The good news is you can set your own goals for the two minute burpee blast. Thankfully, Sunday is a day of rest in this challenge because you’re going to need it. The Shrinkingjeans challenge is here.
All of these challenges can be done at home without any equipment. They will help you bash the winter blues and head off the cold weather weight gain that happens at this time of year.
Do you have a favorite burpee or squat challenge? Drop a link to it in the comment box below.
Be Social! Share!