Most of us have at least a short list of people that we need to purchase a special, yet inexpensive, gift for at the holidays. The mail carrier, dog groomer, hair stylist, boss and school teacher are all deserving of a thoughtful gift. A typical gift is a home-made tin of cookies, a bottle of wine or a box of truffles.
But since these food items are so common – and not always appreciated if someone is trying to lose a few pounds – here is a list of under $20 non-food gifts to give this year. All of the gifts can be purchased easily at your local mall or department store and are versatile enough for nearly anyone on your list.
1. Bath & Body Bath Shower Gels – These these bath gels let you give the gift of scent. They come in delicious fragrances that are too numerous to count. They retail for $12, and most stores offer an ongoing buy-three-get-three-free special. Body gels comes in fragrances for men too.
2. White Barn Candle Company Three Wick Candles – These wonderful candles can be found at Bath & Body or at a White Barn Candle store and come in a variety of sizes and fragrances. The large three wick candles retail for $20 and many stores run two for $22 specials.
3. Cheerful Snowman – Who doesn’t love a cheerful, colorful snowman? These can be found at TJ Maxx, Kohl’s, Macy’s and nearly anywhere that has a housewares department. Your dog-sitter, mail carrier, or hair dresser will love receiving one. Most retail between $10 and $15.
4. Decorative Holiday Towels – This is one of those gifts that people love to get because they don’t think to buy it for themselves. Special occasion towels are fun to put out when you have company and make inexpensive, yet appreciated, teacher gifts. I purchased these for $7 at TJ Maxx.
5. Athletic Wear Jackets – If you have someone to buy for that likes to wear athletic gear you can find trendy jackets in stores like Burlington for under $20. The selection is somewhat overwhelming and you’ll find that there’s one for every athlete on your list. I like the white one so much I may keep it for myself.
6. Yoga Pant Sets – This gift won’t work for everyone, but for the females in your life that like the comfort of yoga pants and tanks for lounging or sleeping, these are the perfect choice. They come in a variety of colors. I purchased the sets at Kohls for under $20.
7. Decorative Wall Art – These signs are fun and catchy and you can easily find one to match the personality of the person you’re shopping for. An assortment of trendy wall decor can be found at any retailer that has a housewares department. Big Lots also has a good selection for less than $20 each.
8. The Big Jar – Big jars are fun to give because there are so many ways to use them. They can be filled with wine bottle corks, potpourri, or even a candle. I purchased this jar at TJ Maxx for $8.
9. Flavored Olive Oil – This might be on the fringe of a food gift, but I thought it was too good to pass up or leave off of the list. Plus, it is a healthy item and if you have someone who enjoys cooking with olive oil, they will love this gift set of three flavored oils. I purchased at the local grocery for $15. It’s a perfect hostess gift.
10. Scented Oil Pot – Fragrance pots can be purchased for about $15 at Wal-Mart or other department stores. They will fill the house with aroma and use a light bulb instead of a flame to heat the wax so you reduce the risk of fire. The chips melt down and fill the area with scent and come in a variety of fragrances.
11. Wokout DVDs – Perfect for the person in your life who likes to work out in the comfort of their own home. Check out Collage Video.com for the latest workout DVDs. You can read reviews and watch video clips before you buy.
What’s your favorite non-food gift for under $20?
Be Social! Share!