I love finding new ways to use bell peppers. Bell peppers are colorful and nutritious and add so much flavor to any dish.
In this recipe the peppers are simmered in balsamic vinegar then served over roasted chicken. You can use boneless chicken breasts or thighs. It’s a very easy-to-prepare dish that your family is sure to enjoy.
3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
3/4 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (I used three gloves of fresh, minced garlic)
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
4 (6 ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breasts
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 cups thinly sliced red bell pepper
1 cup thinly sliced yellow bell pepper
1/2 cup thinly sliced shallots (about 1 large)
1 /12 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Preheat over to 450 degrees.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Combine 1/2 teaspoon salt, fennel seeds, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, garlic powder (or minced garlic), and oregano.
- Bruch chicken with 1 1/2 teaspoons oil
- Sprinkle spice rub over chicken.
- Add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to pan. Add chicken; cook 3 minutes or until browned.
- Turn chicken over; cook 1 minute.
- Arrange chicken in an 11 x 7 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 450 for 20 minutes or until done.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat.
- Add bell peppers, shallots, and rosemary; saute 3 minutes.
- Stir in broth, scraping pan to loosen browned bits.
- Reduce heat, simmer 5 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high.
- Stir in vinegar, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Serve bell pepper mixture over chicken.
This dish can be served over mashed potatoes, brown rice or whole wheat pasta with a salad on the side. It’s a light and easy summer meal.
Nutritional Information: Calories 282; Fat 11 g; Protein 35.9g; Carb 8.8 g; Fiber 19g; Chol 94 mg; Iron 2 mg; Sodium 644 mg; Calcium 38 mg
Be Social! Share!