Pumpkin Angel Food Cake from Taste of Home.com
Here’s an easy way to jazz up an angel food cake mix using canned pumpkin, nutmeg and other spices from Pamela Overton of Charleston, Illinois (for Taste of Home.com).
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon Spice Islands® pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
- 14 tablespoons reduced-fat whipped topping
- Additional ground cinnamon, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the pumpkin, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger.
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions.
- Fold a fourth of the batter into pumpkin mixture; gently fold in the remaining batter.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan.
- Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets.
- Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350° for 38-44 minutes or until top is golden brown and cake springs back when lightly touched and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate.
- Garnish each slice with 1 tablespoon whipped topping; sprinkle with cinnamon if desired. Yield: 14 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 slice equals 151 calories, 1 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 264 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.