In this recipe bell peppers are roasted in balsamic vinegar then served over baked chicken. You can use boneless chicken breasts or thighs. It’s a very easy-to-prepare dish that your family is sure to enjoy.
3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
3/4 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (I used three gloves of fresh, minced garlic)
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
4 (6 ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breasts
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 cups thinly sliced red bell pepper
1 cup thinly sliced yellow bell pepper
1/2 cup thinly sliced shallots (about 1 large)
1 /12 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Preheat over to 450 degrees.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Combine 1/2 teaspoon salt, fennel seeds, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, garlic powder (or minced garlic), and oregano.
- Bruch chicken with 1 1/2 teaspoons oil
- Sprinkle spice rub over chicken.
- Add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to pan. Add chicken; cook 3 minutes or until browned.
- Turn chicken over; cook 1 minute.
- Arrange chicken in an 11 x 7 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 450 for 20 minutes or until done.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat.
- Add bell peppers, shallots, and rosemary; saute 3 minutes.
- Stir in broth, scraping pan to loosen browned bits.
- Reduce heat, simmer 5 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high.
- Stir in vinegar, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Serve bell pepper mixture over chicken.
This dish can be served over mashed potatoes, brown rice or whole wheat pasta with a salad on the side. It’s a light and easy summer meal.
Nutritional Information: Calories 282; Fat 11 g; Protein 35.9g; Carb 8.8 g; Fiber 19g; Chol 94 mg; Iron 2 mg; Sodium 644 mg; Calcium 38 mg
Be Social! Share!