I found this recipe at Epicurious.com and tweaked it just a little for a delicious stuffed mushroom dish.
Marinated mushrooms (This is using half of what the original recipe called for. You may need to adjust depending on how many mushrooms you’re using.)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large portobello mushrooms
- 8-ounce fresh spinach (check quantity on this one)
- 3/4 pound button mushrooms
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet onion (such as Maui or Vidalia)
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1/4 cup plus 6 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup unseasoned dry breadcrumbs
- 1 5-ounce package soft fresh goat cheese, crumbled
Directions For Marinated Mushrooms:
- Whisk first 6 ingredients together in medium bowl for marinade.
- Cut stems from mushrooms and place stems in processor.
- Arrange mushrooms, gill side up, in 15x10x2-inch glass baking dish.
- Pour marinade over mushrooms and marinate 4 hours, turning to coat occasionally.
*I didn’t leave the mushrooms in the marinade nearly that long. Mine were in the sauce about an hour. I turned them every 15 minutes.
Directions For Filling:
(*note – the filling can be made up to two hours ahead.)
- Separately, coarsely grind fresh spinach in a food processor and set aside in a medium bowl
- Do the same with the button mushrooms
- Heat oil in heavy large skillet over high heat. Add onion; sauté until beginning to brown, stirring often, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and stir 30 seconds.
- Add chopped mushrooms
- Sprinkle with salt, and increase heat to high.
- Cook until almost all liquid evaporates, stirring often, about 8 minutes.
- Season mushroom mixture with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to large bowl
- Cool to room temperature.
- Add spinach, 1/4 cup Parmesan, and breadcrumbs to cooled mushroom mixture
- Toss to distribute evenly.
- Add goat cheese and toss gently to distribute evenly.
- Season filling to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover filling and let stand at room temperature.
Preparing The Mushrooms
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Transfer marinated mushrooms to rimmed baking sheet, gill side down.
- Roast until beginning to soften, about 15 minutes.
- Turn mushrooms over.
- Divide filling among mushrooms.
Sprinkle remaining Parmesan cheese over and bake until heated through and cheese begins to brown, about 15 minutes