7-Layer Salad Gets Makeover
If you’re looking for a nutritional low-calorie salad to take to a party this Labor Day weekend try this makeover recipe from Eating Well. It’s even better when made the night before and kept in the fridge.
- 8 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup halved grape tomatoes, or quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions
- 3/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 3/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1-2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 3 strips cooked bacon, crumbled
- Place lettuce in a large bowl. Layer peas, bell pepper, tomatoes, celery and scallions on top.
- Whisk yogurt, mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar to taste, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a medium bowl until smooth. Spread the dressing evenly over the top of the salad (an offset spatula is handy for this, if you have one). Sprinkle with cheese, basil and bacon. Serve room temperature or chilled.
- If making for the next day, refrigerate overnight.
Nutrition – Makes about 10 servings
Per serving : 84 Calories; 4 g Fat; 1 g Sat; 0 g Mono; 7 mg Cholesterol; 10 g Carbohydrates; 5 g Protein; 2 g Fiber; 355 mg Sodium; 234 mg Potassium