This casserole received a four and a half star rating from Allrecipes.com and a five star rating from the co-worker that gave it to me. Great recipe for anyone that has an abundance of zucchini and tomatoes from the garden.
1 ½ cups grated Cheddar cheese
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon dried basil
2 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste
2 medium zucchinis, thinly sliced
5 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
¼ cup butter
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
¾ cup fine bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare a 9 x 9 inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine Cheddar, Parmesan, oregano, basil, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- Arrange half of the zucchini slices in the pan. Sprinkle ¼ of the cheese and herb mixture on top. Arrange half of the tomatoes, and top with another ¼ of the cheese mixture. Repeat layers.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in onions, and cook until soft and translucent. Stir in breadcrumbs: cook until they have absorbed the butter. Sprinkle on top of casserole.
- Cover loosely with foil, and bake in a preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake until the top is crusty and the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.